A lot of people were like, “But this guy doesn’t look like Simba!” and I’m just -
There are only so many ways you can interpret a lion, guys. I mean Bear!Kenai didn’t look like human!Kenai, did he?
I rest my case.
Also don’t remove my commentary, jeeze guys.
Yeah, it never mattered to me what race someone chose to portray him as, if he were human. It doesn’t matter. Simba’s a lion, he doesn’t have a human’s race. And the whole “he’s in Africa so he must be black” thing seems as arbitrary as making him white because it fits his color scheme more. (No one ever seems to mention how not-light-skinned Pumbaa is in that pic)
Also, he’s a friggin’ lion, geez.
Actually it does matter. That’s why I drew it.
I can’t actually see why it would. It doesn’t seem all that important, and it seems like it just comes down to the artist’s own personal style and preference.
Maybe you could tell me how it does matter, or give me an idea, because I don’t know how to look at this.
Because white people in Africa is a product of colonization. So making Simba white is completely and totally problematic. Especially when lions are native to Africa, and the fact that there are nine billion other perfectly white, Eurocentric Disney movies we can all gush over. Why wouldn’t he be black?
Also because canonically speaking, Simba is portrayed by a black man in the broadway show, and I don’t see why that isn’tconsidered word of god already.
But, lions used to exist all over Europe in addition to Africa and Asia. So why should he be exclusively portrayed as a black man? I’ve seen him portrayed as black and white and I’ve liked both. It doesn’t matter guys. He could be either. Simba is a fictional, unrealistic lion with a freaking red mane and eyeshadow for crying out loud. Why are we fighting about this!?
- theafterdawnlegacy reblogged this from minuiko
- thewritermab likes this
- ferboscar reblogged this from ferboscar
- stuff-galore reblogged this from equiuszahhhak
- johnegbertnohomo likes this
- fluzeh likes this
- warpspeedcrotch likes this
- elle-homo reblogged this from gengarvevo
- noivernvevo likes this
- talviiei likes this
- psychosassic reblogged this from sweetmothermarmalade
- sweetmothermarmalade reblogged this from gay4vriska
- wikiuss reblogged this from xamblermindlecrift
- wikiuss likes this
- xamblermindlecrift reblogged this from hershas
- welcome-to-our-humble-home reblogged this from gengarvevo
- gengarvevo reblogged this from gay4vriska and added:
- gay4vriska reblogged this from morphinemizuki
- oslady likes this
- deep-sea-anglerphish likes this
- morphinemizuki reblogged this from hershas
- morphinemizuki likes this
- hershas reblogged this from looz-y
- gronos likes this
- holdthedoctorshandandrun likes this
- elphierix likes this
- madwomanwithahappyholiday reblogged this from superblys
- aswaggerprince reblogged this from minuiko
- flootzavut likes this
- abadonedblog reblogged this from minuiko
- alekthebutt reblogged this from vulturepunk
- alekthebutt likes this
- kikiura reblogged this from jebiwonkenobi
- dahlpengee reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism and added:
- wanderingandfound reblogged this from foradayofsky
- voissane likes this
- zaziecurie reblogged this from phantastus
- zaziecurie likes this
- the-panda-bread reblogged this from cellysweetie
- the-panda-bread likes this
- theworstcatismoving likes this
- cellysweetie reblogged this from longbluetongue
- cellysweetie likes this
- longbluetongue reblogged this from delirium-disease
- okapirose likes this
- longbluetongue likes this
- firestarter1994 likes this
- hungryhufflepuff likes this
- delirium-disease reblogged this from phantastus